Are you planning a trip to Berlin and wondering how far the airport is from the heart of the city? Sit back and relax as we delve into the details of this common question asked by many travelers. In this article, we will provide you with all the information you need to know about the distance between Berlin Airport and the city centre, along with some helpful tips to make your journey as smooth as possible.
Understanding Berlin’s Airports
Before we jump into the specific distances, it’s essential to briefly understand the airports serving Berlin. The German capital has two main airports: Berlin Brandenburg Airport (BER) and Berlin Tegel Airport (TXL).
Berlin Brandenburg Airport (BER)
Berlin Brandenburg Airport, often referred to as BER, is the newest and main international airport serving the city. It began operations in October 2020 and is located approximately 18 kilometers southeast of the city center.
Berlin Tegel Airport (TXL)
Berlin Tegel Airport, also known as TXL, has served as one of the city’s primary airports for many years. However, with the opening of BER, TXL is expected to close, with the final closure planned for November 8th, 2021. It is situated approximately 8 kilometers northwest of the city center.
Distance Between Berlin Airport and the City Centre
Now, let’s explore the distance between each airport and the vibrant city centre.
Berlin Brandenburg Airport (BER) to the City Centre
As mentioned earlier, Berlin Brandenburg Airport (BER) is situated around 18 kilometers southeast of the city center. Depending on your mode of transportation, the travel time can vary:
- By car: If you choose to take a taxi or a car, the journey from BER to the city centre typically takes around 30 to 45 minutes, depending on traffic conditions.
- By public transportation: Berlin has an extensive public transportation network, including trains, trams, and buses. From BER, you can take the regional train (Airport Express) that connects directly to Berlin Hauptbahnhof (Central Station). The journey takes approximately 30 minutes.
By public transportation:
Berlin Tegel Airport (TXL) to the City Centre
Since Berlin Tegel Airport (TXL) is closer to the city center than BER, the travel time is generally shorter:
- By car: A taxi or car ride from TXL to the city center usually takes about 20 to 30 minutes, depending on traffic conditions.
- By public transportation: If you prefer public transportation, you can take the bus line TXL, which connects Tegel Airport to Alexanderplatz in the city center. The journey typically takes around 30 minutes.
By public transportation:
Additional Tips for Getting to and from the Airports
Now that you know the distances between Berlin Airport and the city center, here are some additional tips to ensure a hassle-free journey:
1. Plan Your Transportation Method in Advance
Consider your budget, time constraints, and personal preferences when choosing your transportation method. Taxis offer convenience, while public transportation is often more cost-effective.
2. Check for Traffic Information
If you decide to go by car or taxi, it’s always a good idea to check for traffic information before departing. Berlin can experience heavy traffic during peak hours, which might affect your travel time.
3. Use Public Transportation Apps
Take advantage of various helpful mobile apps, such as BVG FahrInfo Plus or Google Maps, which provide real-time public transportation information, routes, and schedules. These apps can simplify your journey and help you navigate the city with ease.
4. Consider Airport Transfers
If you prefer a more personalized service, you can also consider booking an airport transfer. Many companies offer private or shared transfers from the airports to the city center, providing comfort and peace of mind.
When it comes to the distance between Berlin Airport and the city centre, the travel times can vary depending on the airport and mode of transportation. Berlin Brandenburg Airport (BER) is around 18 kilometers southeast of the city center, while Berlin Tegel Airport (TXL) is approximately 8 kilometers northwest. Regardless of which airport you land at, there are plenty of options to reach the heart of the city, ranging from taxis to public transportation. By planning in advance and utilizing some useful tips, you can ensure a smooth and enjoyable journey from the airport to Berlin’s vibrant city centre.
Table of Contents