One of the most common concerns for travelers is understanding the distance between the airport and their destination city center. The same goes for Berlin Brandenburg Airport, the main international airport serving the capital city of Germany. Situated in the southeast of Berlin, this airport is an important transportation hub for both domestic and international flights.
Location of Berlin Brandenburg Airport
Berlin Brandenburg Airport (BER) is located in the state of Brandenburg, approximately 18 kilometers (11 miles) south of the city center of Berlin. It is close to the localities of Schönefeld and Kleinmachnow.
There are several transportation options available to travelers who want to reach the city center from Berlin Brandenburg Airport:
The easiest and most efficient way to get from the airport to the city center is by train. The airport has its own train station called “Flughafen Berlin Brandenburg Terminal 1-2”, located directly beneath the main terminal. From there, you can take the regional trains RE7 or RB14, which will take you to various locations in central Berlin, including Alexanderplatz, Hauptbahnhof (Central Station), and Friedrichstraße. The journey usually takes around 30 minutes.
2. Express Bus
If you prefer traveling by bus, the express bus service called “TXL JetExpressBus” operates between the airport and the city center. This bus departs every 10 minutes during peak hours and takes approximately 40 minutes to reach Alexanderplatz, passing through major spots like Hauptbahnhof and Brandenburger Tor along the way.
3. Regional Bus
In addition to the express bus, there are various regional buses that connect the airport with different parts of the city. The bus stops are located right outside the airport terminals. However, these buses usually have multiple stops, so the travel time may be longer compared to the express bus or train.
Travel Time and Frequency
The travel time from Berlin Brandenburg Airport to the city center depends on the mode of transportation chosen, traffic conditions, and the specific destination within the city. Here are some approximate travel times:
- Alexanderplatz: Approximately 30 minutes
- Hauptbahnhof (Central Station): Approximately 30 minutes
- Friedrichstraße: Approximately 30 minutes
- Potsdamer Platz: Approximately 35 minutes
By Express Bus:
- Alexanderplatz: Approximately 40 minutes
- Hauptbahnhof (Central Station): Approximately 45 minutes
- Brandenburger Tor: Approximately 45 minutes
- Kurfürstendamm: Approximately 50 minutes
Useful Tips for Easy Navigation
To make your journey from Berlin Brandenburg Airport to the city center as smooth as possible, here are some tips:
- Research and plan your route in advance to avoid any confusion or delay.
- Check the train and bus schedules for the most up-to-date information.
- If you are not familiar with the local language, consider using a translation app or having important phrases written down.
- Keep some cash on hand for purchasing tickets, as some ticket machines may not accept credit or debit cards.
- Ensure you have a reliable map or navigation app to guide you around the city center once you arrive.
The distance between Berlin Brandenburg Airport and the city center is approximately 18 kilometers (11 miles). Travelers have convenient transportation options such as trains and buses, which provide easy access to different parts of Berlin. The travel time may vary depending on the mode of transport and the specific destination, but the journey usually takes between 30 to 50 minutes. With some planning and helpful tips, navigating from the airport to the city center can be a hassle-free experience. Enjoy your trip to Berlin!
Table of Contents